Tuesday 19 March 2019

Australia GP - "How about that?"

A different kind of Formula 1 seems promised this year (or Hamilton will romp it - one or other).  Some big names have changed shop and there are lots of rookies.  Now, Lando Norris - anyone else envision a John Major accent?  Alonso will be kicking himself with the results this newbie has achieved so far.

Qualifying was bewildering, I kept forgetting that Red Bull is now powered by Honda (is that Alonso's swinging boot, I can hear?)  Returning to same old same old, I have started my "this is the greatest crowd" tally from Hamilton.

A new feature of the championship this year, is the point for the fastest lap (21 points available over the course of the year, which could be a championship clincher.  Clearly copied from the original and best fantasy Formula 1 league though). Although, if I understand correctly, you must be in the top ten to score it, which I think sucks.

The race left us with many questions.  Why was Sainz on fire?  Why does the Melbourne circuit always, literally, attack Ricciardo?  Was the Lap 30 battle between Vettel and Verstappen a hint of a potential three horse race for the title?  And upon the finish, will it really be a four horse race or will Toto have to step in?  Why didn't the drastic aero changes lead to closer racing?  How well did ASOS do out of my race viewing?  (The greater the spend, the duller the race.)  Did my eyes deceive me or was there a 21 second gap between Bottas and Hamilton in a straight fight?  Why did no commentator mention that both Williams were still running at the end?

But the question we all need answered is: why did Vettel change his beard to a moustache between press day and qually?

No comments:

Post a Comment